Updated September 2021
Did you know there are over 60 sparkling wine producers in Santa Barbara County? And we have 15 of them right here in Los Olivos! Many are such small production that they aren’t available year-round.
Here are the top 11 sparkling wines you can buy in downtown Los Olivos:
- Brewer-Clifton‘s Sparkling Wine is a labor of love. The entire process is done in-house, completely méthode champenoise (traditional Champagne method), with all tasks done by hand, made from 100% Chardonnay. Not always available, so ask for it.
- The Bubble Shack is all bubbly, all the time bubbles from Fess Parker with 3 sparklers on their tasting menu (open weekends only). It’s one of the only places in Santa Barbara County you can do a sparkling tasting flight.
- Ca’ Del Grevino has just released an Italian Prosecco-style sparkler called Riesecco. It’s a sparkling Riesling from their estate vineyard in the Santa Maria Valley, also made in the méthode champenoise. It’s not available online, so make sure you visit in Los Olivos to try it.
- Carhartt Family Wine’s sparkling wine is a Pét-Nat, or pétillant naturel, made each year in limited quantities. The variety and style changes every year, and they do run out, so ask about them.
- Coquelicot makes a traditional method sparkling wine made from dry Riesling.
- E11even Wines by Andrew Murray makes a Pét-Nat of old vine Estate Grown Chenin Blanc. It is super fun and playful, delicate and delicious.
- Future Perfect has just released a Sparkling Rosé Méthode Champenoise made of 69% Pinot Noir, 25% Chardonnay and 6% Pinot Menuier (these are the classic grape varieties allowed in Champagne, France). Owner and winemaker Sunny Doench Stricker makes wine that brings people joy, from the best Santa Barbara County vineyards.
- The Hideaway LO makes a méthode champenoise sparkling wine called Flocking Fabulous Sparkling Wine, with floral, citrus, and pear aromas with a hint of yeast. This Sparkling wine is a blend of 63% Chardonnay, 34% Pinot Noir, and 3% Pinot Meunier grapes (again, classic grape varieties in Champagne, France).
- Moretti Wine Co. (at Taste of Sta. Rita Hills) produces Prosecco from an Italian Superiore DOCG Valdobbiadene Brut—a high-quality sparkling wine from Italy for a fraction of the price.
- Refugio Ranch makes a Pét-Nat of Sangiovese called Gleason Family Vineyards. This red sparkler is in the style of classic Italian red bubbly wines.
- Stolpman’s Combe label (a partnership between Pete Stolpman and Raj Parr) makes a Pét-Nat of sparkling Trousseau—the only sparkling Trousseau in the world.